Monday, May 5, 2014

Celebrating Proyecto Horizonte through Food, Film, Friends & Art


Last weekend, I co-hosted my first Proyecto Horizonte charity event.  One of my friends in Seattle started the Charity Film & Food group, where he encourages his friends to do what they love once a month while sharing their passion for a cause.  This month, seventeen of us celebrated and contributed to Proyecto Horizonte.  Our small group gathered to enjoy delicious food with everything from burritos, to homemade empanadas (salteñas) to chips, salsa and more.  We also shared our happiness through art and watched a movie.  I provided watercolor paper and a variety of pens, pencils, and paints for anyone to use.  The goal was to illustrate, “what makes you happy” and share it with Proyecto Horizonte as a part of the organization’s 10-year anniversary campaign.

After we had eaten, conversed, and the majority of friends had arrived, I gave everyone an overview of Proyecto Horizonte.  To begin, I explained why Proyecto Horizonte is my charity of choice and shared my experience onsite in 2012 during my backpacking trip throughout South America, as well as my continued remote support.  In Bolivia, I tutored in the school and helped with marketing materials for Tantakuna women’s group.  Since then, I’ve provided event support, translation, and editing.  I then explained Proyecto Horizonte’s holistic approach and goals of community sustainability and showed them a short video presented at Latin Finance Awards in January, “What Do You Think of Proyecto Horizonte?”, a video which showcases students, parents, and volunteers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QsBB8avzvE).  

We then settled in to watched “Once”, a contemplative film that emphasizes the importance of seizing opportunities to fulfill your dreams, while supporting others’ dreams.  Then, we talked more about Proyecto Horizonte, discussed my and others’ adventures in South America, and made room for dessert.  At the end of the event, we posed for a few photos, highlighting the remainder of the group and the “Share You Happiness” art bulletin.  We plan to share this expression of our happiness with Proyecto Horizonte as a part of the 10-year anniversary and happiness campaign.

By the end of the evening, we felt more united and were satisfied with our small, but impactful event.  Together, we raised $280 for Proyecto Horizonte - enough to cover a teacher’s salary for a month. Just think of what a difference we could make if all friends joined each month to support a cause like Proyecto Horizonte!






Ashley Lacy, Volunteer
Seattle, USA

No comments:

Post a Comment