Thursday, January 30, 2014

Volunteer happiness

It was a wonderful and sunny day, when I walked up the main street in Ushpa-Ushpa at the beginning of the holidays. Half way up the street I saw one of the kids of Proyecto Horizonte, who stuck his head out a garage door and I asked him how he was doing. His answer surprised me a lot, but also made me sad “I’m so bored” he said “I  would rather go to school, there is nothing to do here”. So I spontaneously decided to set up another little holiday program and promised to come back with games and learning activities. During the next few days I came back to the garage door several times and there were always more excited kids opening the door after I had knocked it. Their energy and curiosity was endless and made them constantly ask for new activities, so that I could hardly come up with new learning games in time. But although it was rather improvised and sometimes also pretty chaotic, the love and enthusiasm of the kids, who started to set out chairs and a desk in the middle of the sidewalk for further learning sessions also showed me that it was absolutely worth it. And it made me go home with a smile which was as bright as the ones I could see in the cute little faces of the kids. This happiness they gave me was the best recognition and better than any payment I could ever get!
From: Sarah Miehle-Honecker

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this article. Really a nice and informative one which I was looking for. I can suggest you some other also informative site. You may find a list here :
    www.evenhacks.com

    ReplyDelete