Friday, June 6, 2014

FLOWERS, GIFTS AND TEARS

Katia, a volunteer from Canada, writes about the celebration of Bolivia's National Teachers' Day that took place yesterday at one of the schools in Ushpa-Ushpa:

I chose to volunteer for Proyecto Horizonte mainly because of the numerous opportunities of involvement that are available to the volunteers. In the mornings I work as an assistant to the teacher of Inicial B, and I teach English to the elementary school students of the Unidad Educativa Rene Barrientos, one of the schools supported by Proyecto Horizonte. In the afternoons I go to the office of Proyecto Horizonte to help with administrative tasks and marketing. Although it is quite challenging, working with the kids is definitely one of the most rewarding experiences. Two months and a week into my volunteering at the school I have developed close ties with the kids of the Inicial and the children I teach English to. Yesterday the school celebrated Bolivia's National Teachers' Day. The parents and the kids arrived with gifts and flowers to thank the teachers for their hard work on this special day. I did not expect to receive so many flowers from the moms and my students. They also gave me two beautiful scarves and a very pretty jewelery box. I was very touched to see that they were so appreciative of my work even though I am a volunteer and not a qualified teacher. The kids and the moms were coming up to me giving me "besitos" and their best wishes. It almost brought me to tears. There were no classes held on that day. The teachers and I had the privilege to enjoy folcloric dancing prepared by some of the students. We were also served salteñas and coca cola. I was excited to find out that I was invited to a teachers' lunch held the following day. There are no words to describe how special and grateful I felt that entire day. The big hearts of the moms, the kids and the teachers of the school as well as those beautiful moments will forever be engraved in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment